Wednesday 4 May 2011

Joints and Loose Ends

Over the last couple of days I have been busy in the shed working on the shoulder joints and continuing to carving the head.
The shoulder joins are whats known as concealed joints this is exactly what it sounds like. I really wanted to uses these, as they allow the arm to rotate and move up and down but also the arm can sit flush to the body so looks very neat. The dress i have designed has short sleeves so I wanted a really nice silhouette.
I will write a tutorial on how to make these joint shortly. Once you get your head around the design they are quite simple to make, they do take a little time, but I really think they are worth it.
I am now at a point were I'm very happy with the head. I carved in her mouth and then re-looked at the eyes. They look all wrong and just did not work , I decided that I would remove the eyes I had carved ( see head post for pictures) and smooth the area out, I will paint them in at the end. I have used this method before and it has been quite effective. Now i know I'm happy with her head shape, I will carve her ears into shape.
I am almost there ( with the carving). I need to round off the body parts and sand her down. I have to decide on the final head joint as well. I think this will involve some playing with bits of odd wood. I will keep you updated.
Its now less than two weeks to go untill the carnival, so I need to be a busy bunny from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment